Eggbeaters

As you may have noticed, alot of my recent posts are about heart health. That's because I'm determined to be a low-carber for the rest of my life and that has me really concerned about trying to trade-out the 'bad' fats for the 'good' ones.

A major change I have made has been to use
Egg Beaters instead of eggs. Now I'll admit I was sceptical, but after using them in recipes and as plain old eggs in the morning I'm completely won over.
Egg Beaters Original is made with 99% eggs — but only the best part — the
whites. The other 1% consists of vitamins and other nutrients usually lost
when the yolk is removed.

Egg Beaters Original have no artificial flavors, preservatives or colors. Egg Beaters Original has no cholesterol, no fat and is low in calories. Available in refrigerated and frozen.

As a Low-Carber I love eggs. They are a great source of protein (6g per egg) and low in carbohydrates (1 carb). But guess what? they are loaded with cholesterol. 210mg to be exact (most people should limit their intake to 300mg a day). Egg Beaters have the same amount of protein and carbs in 1/4 cup (equals one egg) but no cholesterol or fat (eggs have 5g of fat)!

Ok the nutrition sounds great, but what about the texture and taste? Let me say these are wonderful. They cook really fast and when they are done they look just like scrambled eggs (minus the scrambling effort)! They taste fantastic, too.

But eggs are cheap! I will admit, I tend to be a cheapskate on certain things. I love the fact that I can get 18 eggs for 99 cents. Egg Beaters cost a bit more than that for the carton that makes 8 eggs (I think I paid 2.20). But, considering I was going to use only half a carton for my breakfast for the week, I felt it was well worth the health benefits.

You truly have to consider the trade off. I can eat 2 eggs in the morning for a total of 420mg of cholesterol and add to that any side items I might want to have (like bacon and don't forget your cooking oil/butter) or I can eat Egg Beaters with no cholesterol (incidentally most egg-lovers eat more than 2 a day).

These are 99% real eggs folks. They taste like real eggs. They fluff like real eggs. They are more convenient than real eggs! I even used them in my
Dobie muffins today (yum I made raspberry flavored ones!).

Western Eggwhite Omelet Sausage Zucchini Frittata

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home